So you are getting married. Congratulations! You have found the love of your life and you are going to begin making a home with this special person. Now it is time to register for wedding gifts. This can be overwhelming. You want to make smart choices. How do you choose wisely? How do you choose items that you will actually still like 10 or 20 years down the road? It is important to have a plan with an end goal in mind so you don’t end up with a bunch of random items. Why not think “Tablescapes”? Focus on things you will use on your table. Creating a pretty table shows family and friends that they are welcome in your home and specifically welcome at your table.
Here are some general ideas for your table that might help you get started on a wedding registry with a purpose.
- Choose a season of the year (winter, spring, summer, or fall) to focus on when choosing table and dining items. Focusing on a season will help you narrow down color choices for your tablecloths, placemats and napkins.
- Add a statement item to your list that could be used as a centerpiece for your table such as a nice large vase, tall candlesticks, or quality, artificial topiaries.
- Choose white, off white or clear glass for your everyday dinnerware. This makes your dinnerware much more versatile.
If you want to get more specific in your gift registry selections try thinking of your table decorations or tablescapes in 4 layers.
- Layer #1: The bottom layer is made up of table cloths, table runners, place mats and/or chargers. You can use one of these or all three. I leave place mats and chargers on my table all the time. Hints:
- If you don’t like to iron choose woven or natural fiber placemats.
- A table runner is great because you can leave it on the table all the time without it looking too formal.
- Table cloths do not need to cover the entire table. You can scrunch or gather your table cloths on the center of your table to create a casual look.
- Choose solid colored table cloths. Add pattern with your napkins.
- Gold chargers are a good beginning choice. They go with everything and can be dressed up or down.
- Layer #2: The next layer is the main centerpiece. This gives you a center focal point to work around. Why not register for decorative items that can do double duty? Hints:
- a lantern
- a wreath
- a cake stand
- a basket
- a tray
- a favorite collection such as: pitchers, kitchen tins, or even rabbits for spring
- Layer #3: In this layer you need to think about how you want to branch off the main centerpiece. Do you want candles of varying heights, a runner of greenery, or smaller containers filled with flowers or fruit? Hints:
- Use small mirrors under items in this layer to add sparkle to your table.
- Quality artificial greenery such as magnolia leaves and penny eucalyptus can add a lot to this layer.
- Glass votives work well in this layer.
- Fill small glass containers with clear glass gems and top with a small candle.
- Layer #4: Now you can add your plates, glasses, silverware, napkins, and napkin rings and place cards. Hints:
- Don’t be afraid of pattern when choosing napkins. Choose a color palette that matches the season you are focusing on.
- Keep water glasses clear. If you want to add some color do so in your wine glasses.
- Definitely put napkin rings on your list. You can never have too many.
I hope this helps you feel more confident in your registry choices. For your convenience I have made a checklist of 47 Must Haves on Your Wedding Registry for you to refer to when registering for wedding gifts that focuses on each layer of your tablescape. Click HERE to go to the checklist.